Home » News » Public Safety
Durham officers justified in shooting Lee man, AG says
Steven Amazeen was shot in the legs and shoulder after confronting police who were responding to a 911 call at his Lee Hook Road home on Dec. 3. Amazeen survived his injuries, and awaits trial in Strafford County Superior Court.
According to the report issued Wednesday by Delaney, Amazeen had just been told by his wife that she wanted a divorce. After firing a shot from his handgun inside their bedroom, he went outside, where he met up with police.
The report states that "when the officers encountered Mr. Amazeen on Lee Hook Road, he was armed with a deadly weapon, he made threats to use his gun on himself and the police, and he failed to comply with police commands to drop his gun and surrender as he moved aggressively toward police officers. Finally, Mr. Amazeen raised his arm and pointed his gun directly at one of the Durham officers."
The investigation determined that five cartridges were fired from Dalton's service weapon and four from Lavoie's. Amazeen's wounds included a bullet wound in his left thigh, crossing into his right thigh and lodging near his hip. The bullet was not removed during surgery. The bullet in his shoulder exited his back and was not located at the scene.
Police also located a bullet hole in the floor of the Amazeens' bedroom.
The report indicates "Amazeen begged for the police to shoot him and threatened several times to shoot the officers if they did not shoot him."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads