Home » News » Public Safety
Durham officers justified in shooting Lee man, AG says
Steven Amazeen was shot in the legs and shoulder after confronting police who were responding to a 911 call at his Lee Hook Road home on Dec. 3. Amazeen survived his injuries, and awaits trial in Strafford County Superior Court.
According to the report issued Wednesday by Delaney, Amazeen had just been told by his wife that she wanted a divorce. After firing a shot from his handgun inside their bedroom, he went outside, where he met up with police.
The report states that "when the officers encountered Mr. Amazeen on Lee Hook Road, he was armed with a deadly weapon, he made threats to use his gun on himself and the police, and he failed to comply with police commands to drop his gun and surrender as he moved aggressively toward police officers. Finally, Mr. Amazeen raised his arm and pointed his gun directly at one of the Durham officers."
The investigation determined that five cartridges were fired from Dalton's service weapon and four from Lavoie's. Amazeen's wounds included a bullet wound in his left thigh, crossing into his right thigh and lodging near his hip. The bullet was not removed during surgery. The bullet in his shoulder exited his back and was not located at the scene.
Police also located a bullet hole in the floor of the Amazeens' bedroom.
The report indicates "Amazeen begged for the police to shoot him and threatened several times to shoot the officers if they did not shoot him."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
- Argentina tops Netherlands in shootout to reach final - 0
- Uehara named to AL all-star team - 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax