Home » News » Public Safety
Sarah Mildred Long Bridge damage estimated at $2 million
The bridge took a "big hit" when the 473-foot, Portuguese-flagged tanker MV Harbour Feature came loose at the state pier and struck the bridge, damaging a pier and structural supports.
Cianbro of Pittsfield, Maine, has been hired by the Maine and New Hampshire departments of transportation to perform the repair work and has begun steel fabrication, staging and mobilization.
Original, detailed fabrication drawings of the bridge dating to the late 1930s were obtained from the company involved with the bridge's construction, Harrington & Cortelyou/BMcD, Inc. of Kansas City, Mo., which NH DOT officials said will help expedite the steel fabrication and repairs.
The work is expected to take about a month to complete and the bridge is closed to vehicular traffic until it is completed.
NH DOT officials say they are confident the aging bridge can be repaired and reopened.
The State of Maine is currently in the design phase for a replacement bridge, with the hope of starting construction in 2014.
NH DOT spokesman Bill Boynton said ultimately they expect to recover the costs of the repair work from the company responsible for the damage to the bridge.
The investigation into what caused the tanker to come loose from the pier is still being conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard.
On Wednesday, Nordic Tankers, the commercial manager of the tanker Harbour Feature, said it has been cooperating fully with the U.S. Coast Guard and local responders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 2
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost'