Home » News » Public Safety
Sarah Mildred Long Bridge damage estimated at $2 million
The bridge took a "big hit" when the 473-foot, Portuguese-flagged tanker MV Harbour Feature came loose at the state pier and struck the bridge, damaging a pier and structural supports.
Cianbro of Pittsfield, Maine, has been hired by the Maine and New Hampshire departments of transportation to perform the repair work and has begun steel fabrication, staging and mobilization.
Original, detailed fabrication drawings of the bridge dating to the late 1930s were obtained from the company involved with the bridge's construction, Harrington & Cortelyou/BMcD, Inc. of Kansas City, Mo., which NH DOT officials said will help expedite the steel fabrication and repairs.
The work is expected to take about a month to complete and the bridge is closed to vehicular traffic until it is completed.
NH DOT officials say they are confident the aging bridge can be repaired and reopened.
The State of Maine is currently in the design phase for a replacement bridge, with the hope of starting construction in 2014.
NH DOT spokesman Bill Boynton said ultimately they expect to recover the costs of the repair work from the company responsible for the damage to the bridge.
The investigation into what caused the tanker to come loose from the pier is still being conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard.
On Wednesday, Nordic Tankers, the commercial manager of the tanker Harbour Feature, said it has been cooperating fully with the U.S. Coast Guard and local responders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jr. Legion Tournament: Dover takes title, but Bedford earns regional berth - 0
- Vermont rallies to top Swamp Bats - 0
- Red Sox' summer swoon continues as Jays finish sweep - 0
- Lawrence, Fisher Cats too much for Binghamton - 0
- Former Manchester teacher jailed for assaulting student, 6, with soap, pepper - 0
- Merrimack zoning officials deny AT&T cell tower request - 0
- Derry woman faces charges after nearly hitting Salem police officers - 0
- Upsets mark quarterfinal play in Red Ryan CYO golf - 0
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'