Home » Opinion » Editorials
Obama, bank president: Home loans by decree
Here is how The Washington Post summarized the Obama administration's new plan: "Housing officials are urging the Justice Department to provide assurances to banks, which have become increasingly cautious, that they will not face legal or financial recriminations if they make loans to riskier borrowers who meet government standards but later default.
"Officials are also encouraging lenders to use more subjective judgment in determining whether to offer a loan..."
The faith this President places in his ability to manipulate the economy just so is breathtaking. Surely there are many Americans with credit scores below 700 who are financially trustworthy. Why are banks not lending to them? Because after the crash the administration got tough with banks, holding them accountable for foreclosures, and demanding tougher lending standards. Now, banks scared off by the heavy hand of Obama and the then-Democratic Congress are told to relax, lend more, and they won't be held responsible for the consequences - which will be insured by the federal government.
Perhaps that will work out just fine. If not, though, whom do you think Obama and Congress are going to blame? Bankers know. They also know that no matter what course they choose, they are at Obama's mercy. Don't lend, and get attacked for being greedy and uncaring. Lend to riskier borrowers, and get blamed if anything goes wrong. This is what it is like to do business under this President. Is it any wonder that the economy continues to struggle?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 0
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 18
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 24
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 1
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'