Home » Opinion » Editorials
Obama, bank president: Home loans by decree
Here is how The Washington Post summarized the Obama administration's new plan: "Housing officials are urging the Justice Department to provide assurances to banks, which have become increasingly cautious, that they will not face legal or financial recriminations if they make loans to riskier borrowers who meet government standards but later default.
"Officials are also encouraging lenders to use more subjective judgment in determining whether to offer a loan..."
The faith this President places in his ability to manipulate the economy just so is breathtaking. Surely there are many Americans with credit scores below 700 who are financially trustworthy. Why are banks not lending to them? Because after the crash the administration got tough with banks, holding them accountable for foreclosures, and demanding tougher lending standards. Now, banks scared off by the heavy hand of Obama and the then-Democratic Congress are told to relax, lend more, and they won't be held responsible for the consequences - which will be insured by the federal government.
Perhaps that will work out just fine. If not, though, whom do you think Obama and Congress are going to blame? Bankers know. They also know that no matter what course they choose, they are at Obama's mercy. Don't lend, and get attacked for being greedy and uncaring. Lend to riskier borrowers, and get blamed if anything goes wrong. This is what it is like to do business under this President. Is it any wonder that the economy continues to struggle?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- John Stossel: Incumbents almost always win - 0
- George Will: In Georgia, a capitalist struggles - 2
- Jonah Goldberg -- Cure for gridlock: Take hard votes - 1
- Another View -- Marco Rubio: Brown will stop the Obama agenda, put us on a better course - 4
- Another View - Sean O'Kane: Jeanne Shaheen is a friend of NH's tourism industry - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: How the cult of celebrity destroys our political culture - 3
- Pat Buchanan: How do terror networks win their Western recruits? - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 0
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- New parking system troubles businesses in downtown Bristol - 0
- Hassan says helping veterans remains a priority - 0
- Lyndeborough settles suit with former police officers - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
School's out for voters
Trump fired up over NH mailer