Home » Opinion » Editorials
Nashua's tower saved, but not by Obama
Earlier this week, the President flew to Colorado to campaign for tougher gun control laws, then on to San Francisco for a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser. At $179,750 per hour to fly Air Force One, National Review Online's Jim Geraghty pegged the cost of this week's trip at roughly $1.4 million. That is enough money to keep Nashua's tower open for years (it costs about $1,000 a day to run).
As Deroy Murdock notes elsewhere on this page, Vice President Biden could have stayed for free in the U.S. ambassador's 60,000-square-foot residence during his recent trip to Paris. Instead, Shotgun Joe opted for a Paris hotel - at a cost of $585,000.
Late last month, as Nashua officials pleaded with Washington to keep the tower open, USAID awarded a grant of $3.8 million to assist in the creation of a new pension system - in Armenia, Geraghty also reported.
Three flight schools are based at Nashua. Without air traffic control, student and new pilots would have to navigate the skies (which are traversed by commercial flights out of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) by themselves. Obama might want to ponder that.
READER COMMENTS: 11
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
- Editorial: Weare’s cameras - the PD’s scarlet letters - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
- Philadelphia outlasts Revolution, weather in U.S. Open Cup - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax