Home » Opinion » Editorials
Nashua's tower saved, but not by Obama
Earlier this week, the President flew to Colorado to campaign for tougher gun control laws, then on to San Francisco for a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser. At $179,750 per hour to fly Air Force One, National Review Online's Jim Geraghty pegged the cost of this week's trip at roughly $1.4 million. That is enough money to keep Nashua's tower open for years (it costs about $1,000 a day to run).
As Deroy Murdock notes elsewhere on this page, Vice President Biden could have stayed for free in the U.S. ambassador's 60,000-square-foot residence during his recent trip to Paris. Instead, Shotgun Joe opted for a Paris hotel - at a cost of $585,000.
Late last month, as Nashua officials pleaded with Washington to keep the tower open, USAID awarded a grant of $3.8 million to assist in the creation of a new pension system - in Armenia, Geraghty also reported.
Three flight schools are based at Nashua. Without air traffic control, student and new pilots would have to navigate the skies (which are traversed by commercial flights out of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) by themselves. Obama might want to ponder that.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads