Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Fisher Cats breeze on Opening Night
Fisher Cats right-hander Austin Bibens-Dirkx, a farmhand for Colorado and Washington last season, worked six innings and allowed three hits to notch the victory in his Eastern League debut. Clint Everts pitched a pair of scoreless innings, and Trystan Magnuson put another zero on the scoreboard in the ninth.
Nashua native Kevin Nolan enjoyed a homecoming at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium, going 1-for-3 and driving in the first run of the season with a wall-ball liner in the second inning.
You know it's an excellent night when the No. 9 hitter (Tolisano) homers, and the team combines for six two-out RBIs. Reading starter David Buchanan, chased in the fifth, was tagged for six earned run in the loss.
"It may have been my most relaxing opening day game," manager Gary Allenson said.
Kenny Wilson went 3-for-5, and Schimpf homered in the sixth inning to give the Fisher Cats an 8-0 lead. Bibens-Dirkx fanned six and issued two walks, coasting through six frames. The 27-year-old picked up his 32nd career win.
The Fisher Cats jumped on Buchanan early, scoring four runs in the second inning. Clint Robinson doubled and eventually scored on Nolan's liner to right field. The Nashua South graduate also walked and struck out in his first Double-A game.
"It was a good night. We knew coming into the season we had a solid lineup, one through nine, and good pitching," said Nolan, who received the loudest cheers during pregame introductions. "It was nice being back home and out there playing."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos