Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Fisher Cats breeze on Opening Night
Fisher Cats right-hander Austin Bibens-Dirkx, a farmhand for Colorado and Washington last season, worked six innings and allowed three hits to notch the victory in his Eastern League debut. Clint Everts pitched a pair of scoreless innings, and Trystan Magnuson put another zero on the scoreboard in the ninth.
Nashua native Kevin Nolan enjoyed a homecoming at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium, going 1-for-3 and driving in the first run of the season with a wall-ball liner in the second inning.
You know it's an excellent night when the No. 9 hitter (Tolisano) homers, and the team combines for six two-out RBIs. Reading starter David Buchanan, chased in the fifth, was tagged for six earned run in the loss.
"It may have been my most relaxing opening day game," manager Gary Allenson said.
Kenny Wilson went 3-for-5, and Schimpf homered in the sixth inning to give the Fisher Cats an 8-0 lead. Bibens-Dirkx fanned six and issued two walks, coasting through six frames. The 27-year-old picked up his 32nd career win.
The Fisher Cats jumped on Buchanan early, scoring four runs in the second inning. Clint Robinson doubled and eventually scored on Nolan's liner to right field. The Nashua South graduate also walked and struck out in his first Double-A game.
"It was a good night. We knew coming into the season we had a solid lineup, one through nine, and good pitching," said Nolan, who received the loudest cheers during pregame introductions. "It was nice being back home and out there playing."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 12
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'