Home » News » Public Safety
Woman's body found in Merrimack River in Manchester
MANCHESTER — A passerby discovered a body of a woman in the Merrimack River on Saturday morning, police said.
“It appears someone had discovered a body partially submerged in the Merrimack River by Jillian’s,” Lt. James Soucy said.
Detectives are investigating the discovery in the Millyard around 6:55 a.m.
The state Attorney General’s Office hadn’t been called in by mid-morning, he said.
The body was taken to the state medical examiner’s office in Concord for an autopsy, Soucy said.
Michael O’Brien, who works for O’Brien’s Outdoor Services in Bedford, said he showed up around 7 a.m. to do landscaping work and saw police cruisers, a fire truck and an ambulance.
“We were told not to go back there” near the Granite Street Bridge, he said.
After hearing someone found a body, O’Brien said, “Obviously, that’s a shocker.”
Last year, he said his boss found someone badly beaten up in the same general area.
“I guess it’s not that unusual for things like that to occur down there,” he said.
On Thursday afternoon, a passerby in Nashua spotted a body found partially submerged in the Nashua River. Police haven’t released the man’s name but said it could be that of a 43-year-old man reported missing in February.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help