Home » News » Public Safety
Motorist OK after driving into Mont Vernon post pffice
Police said there were people inside of the post office at 4 Grand Hill Road at the time of the accident, but no one was injured when Linda Koch smashed her 2011 Subaru Forester into the building's glass doors shortly before 10 a.m.
Koch, 69, of Mont Vernon, had parked her vehicle in a handicapped space in front of the building when she accidentally accelerated the gas instead of applying the brakes, according to Chief Kyle Aspinwall.
"The car went into the building a couple of feet," said Aspinwall, adding it had to be towed from the scene.
He does not anticipate any charges to be filed against the driver.
"This was an accident. There was nothing really criminal about it," said the chief.
However, Aspinwall said the state Division of Motor Vehicles may review her license status following Friday's accident.
It was unknown whether the post office closed on Friday, but Aspinwall assumed that because of the extensive damage to the front entrance, that daily operations were likely brought to a halt.
A call to the post office went unanswered Friday night.
About a year ago, a similar accident occurred at the same post office when an unidentified driver crashed their vehicle into the outside wall of the building just next to the front entrance.
"That was a hit and run. We never did find the person responsible," Aspinwall said on Friday, noting that accident occurred on March 28, 2012.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 4
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 27
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m