Home » News » Public Safety
Motorist OK after driving into Mont Vernon post pffice
Police said there were people inside of the post office at 4 Grand Hill Road at the time of the accident, but no one was injured when Linda Koch smashed her 2011 Subaru Forester into the building's glass doors shortly before 10 a.m.
Koch, 69, of Mont Vernon, had parked her vehicle in a handicapped space in front of the building when she accidentally accelerated the gas instead of applying the brakes, according to Chief Kyle Aspinwall.
"The car went into the building a couple of feet," said Aspinwall, adding it had to be towed from the scene.
He does not anticipate any charges to be filed against the driver.
"This was an accident. There was nothing really criminal about it," said the chief.
However, Aspinwall said the state Division of Motor Vehicles may review her license status following Friday's accident.
It was unknown whether the post office closed on Friday, but Aspinwall assumed that because of the extensive damage to the front entrance, that daily operations were likely brought to a halt.
A call to the post office went unanswered Friday night.
About a year ago, a similar accident occurred at the same post office when an unidentified driver crashed their vehicle into the outside wall of the building just next to the front entrance.
"That was a hit and run. We never did find the person responsible," Aspinwall said on Friday, noting that accident occurred on March 28, 2012.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072