Home » News » Public Safety
UNH: Corrosion caused pipe failure that burned 3 students
The three female students who suffered the burns while evacuating the building, whose identities have not been released by school officials, remain hospitalized in Massachusetts.
Two of the students were initially taken to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, while the third was first taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
All three were later transferred to Boston hospitals with what were believed to be third-degree burns, according to Erika Mantz, director of UNH media relations.
Mantz could not provide an update on their condition Sunday night.
Mantz said the pipe that delivers hot water to the building for the heating system is located under a pipe that delivers hot water for sinks and showers.
Mantz said school officials believe the top pipe, which is several decades old, had been slowly leaking for an undetermined amount of time, continuously spraying hot water on the second larger and newer pipe, corroding the exterior and causing premature failure.
Maintenance crews repaired the two hot water pipes leading into the building Sunday and heat was returned to Hunter, Gibbs and Engelhardt halls, known as the lower quad, shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon.
According to Mantz, the water damaged a small section of the first-floor hallway and four rooms. Students were not allowed back into Hunter Hall until about 6 p.m. Saturday.
Engelhardt Hall, located nearby, was briefly evacuated during the incident, but students were allowed back inside within 15 minutes.
Mantz said UNH administrators are in contact with the families of the three students and will provide whatever assistance they need during their recovery.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 1
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'