Home » News » Public Safety
UNH: Corrosion caused pipe failure that burned 3 students
The three female students who suffered the burns while evacuating the building, whose identities have not been released by school officials, remain hospitalized in Massachusetts.
Two of the students were initially taken to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, while the third was first taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
All three were later transferred to Boston hospitals with what were believed to be third-degree burns, according to Erika Mantz, director of UNH media relations.
Mantz could not provide an update on their condition Sunday night.
Mantz said the pipe that delivers hot water to the building for the heating system is located under a pipe that delivers hot water for sinks and showers.
Mantz said school officials believe the top pipe, which is several decades old, had been slowly leaking for an undetermined amount of time, continuously spraying hot water on the second larger and newer pipe, corroding the exterior and causing premature failure.
Maintenance crews repaired the two hot water pipes leading into the building Sunday and heat was returned to Hunter, Gibbs and Engelhardt halls, known as the lower quad, shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon.
According to Mantz, the water damaged a small section of the first-floor hallway and four rooms. Students were not allowed back into Hunter Hall until about 6 p.m. Saturday.
Engelhardt Hall, located nearby, was briefly evacuated during the incident, but students were allowed back inside within 15 minutes.
Mantz said UNH administrators are in contact with the families of the three students and will provide whatever assistance they need during their recovery.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
- Manchester chief now one of 2 finalists for Somerville post - 0
- Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long - 0
- Jaffrey fire at transfer station - 0
- Manchester police chief a finalist for Somerville job - 2
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Missing Conway girl's mother not giving up hope - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long