Home » News » Public Safety
UNH: Corrosion caused pipe failure that burned 3 students
The three female students who suffered the burns while evacuating the building, whose identities have not been released by school officials, remain hospitalized in Massachusetts.
Two of the students were initially taken to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, while the third was first taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
All three were later transferred to Boston hospitals with what were believed to be third-degree burns, according to Erika Mantz, director of UNH media relations.
Mantz could not provide an update on their condition Sunday night.
Mantz said the pipe that delivers hot water to the building for the heating system is located under a pipe that delivers hot water for sinks and showers.
Mantz said school officials believe the top pipe, which is several decades old, had been slowly leaking for an undetermined amount of time, continuously spraying hot water on the second larger and newer pipe, corroding the exterior and causing premature failure.
Maintenance crews repaired the two hot water pipes leading into the building Sunday and heat was returned to Hunter, Gibbs and Engelhardt halls, known as the lower quad, shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon.
According to Mantz, the water damaged a small section of the first-floor hallway and four rooms. Students were not allowed back into Hunter Hall until about 6 p.m. Saturday.
Engelhardt Hall, located nearby, was briefly evacuated during the incident, but students were allowed back inside within 15 minutes.
Mantz said UNH administrators are in contact with the families of the three students and will provide whatever assistance they need during their recovery.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test