Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire destroys storage barn, burns half-acre in Milton
Milton Fire Chief Nicholas Marique said the department received the first report of the fire at about 10:10 a.m.
The second alarm was ordered with the fire department on its way to the scene.
"We were en route when we heard it was fully involved," Marique said. "We recognized the address and had a pretty good idea of what the house was, so we wanted to have a lot of people coming."
Firefighters first priority was to protect the house on the property, which was connected to another barn. The house and attached second barn were not damaged.
The storage barn was built in the 1980s. The structure was a total loss, as were the four snowmobiles, some four-wheel vehicles and small engine equipment stored in the barn.
In addition to consuming the barn, the fire spread to nearby brush, charring about a half-acre of countryside.
"It spread probably 100 to 150 yards down the length of a stone wall and then up and over and up a hill," Marique said.
A nearby pond provided enough water to put the fire out.
The cause has been ruled accidental, but Marique said that because the structure was a total loss, it would be difficult to pinpoint the precise cause of the fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 2
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 2
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over