Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire destroys storage barn, burns half-acre in Milton
Milton Fire Chief Nicholas Marique said the department received the first report of the fire at about 10:10 a.m.
The second alarm was ordered with the fire department on its way to the scene.
"We were en route when we heard it was fully involved," Marique said. "We recognized the address and had a pretty good idea of what the house was, so we wanted to have a lot of people coming."
Firefighters first priority was to protect the house on the property, which was connected to another barn. The house and attached second barn were not damaged.
The storage barn was built in the 1980s. The structure was a total loss, as were the four snowmobiles, some four-wheel vehicles and small engine equipment stored in the barn.
In addition to consuming the barn, the fire spread to nearby brush, charring about a half-acre of countryside.
"It spread probably 100 to 150 yards down the length of a stone wall and then up and over and up a hill," Marique said.
A nearby pond provided enough water to put the fire out.
The cause has been ruled accidental, but Marique said that because the structure was a total loss, it would be difficult to pinpoint the precise cause of the fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
- Abigail Hernandez’ mother: She did not run away - 0
- Weare officer won't face charges in fatal shooting - 5
- State revokes license for New Hampshire childcare center amid abuse allegations - 1
- Downed wires shuts Concord street - 0
- Quick-acting Litchfield woman jumps into canoe and paddles to rescue of kayaker - 1
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- Two fires in Manchester - 0
- Indictments issued in fatal crashes in Dover, Barrington, Rochester - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett police charge local man in several BB gun complaints - 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- No change in bail for Dover teen facing felony arson charge - 1
- Full text of the attorney general's report regarding Campbell and Pappas - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’