Home » News » Public Safety
Woman's body found in river in Manchester
Police Det. Sgt. Sean Leighton said "there does not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the death."
Police found the woman's body partially submerged in an area under the Granite Street Bridge by Phillippe Cote Street around 7 a.m., Leighton said.
An autopsy is scheduled for Sunday morning.
Leighton said police know the woman's identity and were in the process of notifying her family. He said the woman was not a missing person.
Michael O'Brien, who works for O'Brien's Outdoor Services in Bedford, said he showed up around 7 a.m. to do landscaping work and saw police cruisers, a fire truck and an ambulance.
"We were told not to go back there" near the bridge, he said.
After hearing someone found a body, O'Brien said, "Obviously, that's a shocker."
Last year, he said his boss found someone badly beaten up in the same general area.
"I guess it's not that unusual for things like that to occur down there," he said.
On Thursday afternoon, a passerby in Nashua spotted a body found partially submerged in the Nashua River. Police haven't released the man's name but said it could be that of a 43-year-old man reported missing in February.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket