Home » News » Public Safety
Woman's body found in river in Manchester
Police Det. Sgt. Sean Leighton said "there does not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the death."
Police found the woman's body partially submerged in an area under the Granite Street Bridge by Phillippe Cote Street around 7 a.m., Leighton said.
An autopsy is scheduled for Sunday morning.
Leighton said police know the woman's identity and were in the process of notifying her family. He said the woman was not a missing person.
Michael O'Brien, who works for O'Brien's Outdoor Services in Bedford, said he showed up around 7 a.m. to do landscaping work and saw police cruisers, a fire truck and an ambulance.
"We were told not to go back there" near the bridge, he said.
After hearing someone found a body, O'Brien said, "Obviously, that's a shocker."
Last year, he said his boss found someone badly beaten up in the same general area.
"I guess it's not that unusual for things like that to occur down there," he said.
On Thursday afternoon, a passerby in Nashua spotted a body found partially submerged in the Nashua River. Police haven't released the man's name but said it could be that of a 43-year-old man reported missing in February.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four