Home » Opinion » Editorials
A fitting welcome: NH thanks Vietnam veterans
In this case, however, the welcome was long overdue. The Vietnam War veterans in attendance, and perhaps some who didn't attend, seemed truly gratified by the day, by the crowd, and by the words of elected officials and event organizers.
U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte spoke of how towns across our little state saluted Vietnam veterans at town meetings this year.
U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter spoke of being a teenager "watching the war" on television and then watching friends and classmates leave to fight.
Gov. Maggie Hassan and U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen spoke the simple "thanks" and "welcome home" that these veterans wanted to hear. (Where, by the way, was Rep. Ann Kuster, whose district includes Concord?)
It was former state Sen. Gary Lambert of Nashua who sponsored the legislation making March 30 Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day. He modestly said he had plenty of help with the effort.
Marine Corps and Vietnam veteran John O'Brien of Orford personally sent letters to towns across the state asking them to honor their vets. Many did.
Emcee Peter St. James, who has made remembering our troops and veterans his personal passion for years, and the New Hampshire National Guard did a first-class job with a simple, solid and dignified event.
It was New Hampshire through and through.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth, PSU hit road for tourneys - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: North beats Memorial, advances in hockey tourney - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council