Home » Opinion » Editorials
The Rudman Center: A lesson in itself
Rudman made his name promoting balanced budgets and bipartisanshp. Though there were many issues on which we disagreed with Rudman (and Broderick, for that matter), Broderick's plan for the Rudman Center strikes us as something of a model for recognizing our best public servants.
It is customary for long-serving politicians to have a public building named after them. This often happens because so many long-serving politicians do little more than bring home the bacon. Others leave bigger legacies. To the extent that those legacies are positive, the better idea is to lengthen them. Establishments like the Rudman Center do that far better than a mere building name does.
Students who go through the Rudman Center will be "living, breathing and ongoing, and your legacy will matter in a very different way than it does etched into the edifice of the federal courthouse on Pleasant Street," Broderick said he told Rudman.
Yes, there is a federal courthouse named after Rudman. The UNH Law center is more fitting. Naming a courthouse is easy, politically speaking. Continuing someone's work to better the republic is hard, and expensive. Broderick and many others took on that task because someone needed to, and they were not going to leave it undone. That in itself is a lesson worth imparting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax