Home » Opinion » Editorials
The Rudman Center: A lesson in itself
Rudman made his name promoting balanced budgets and bipartisanshp. Though there were many issues on which we disagreed with Rudman (and Broderick, for that matter), Broderick's plan for the Rudman Center strikes us as something of a model for recognizing our best public servants.
It is customary for long-serving politicians to have a public building named after them. This often happens because so many long-serving politicians do little more than bring home the bacon. Others leave bigger legacies. To the extent that those legacies are positive, the better idea is to lengthen them. Establishments like the Rudman Center do that far better than a mere building name does.
Students who go through the Rudman Center will be "living, breathing and ongoing, and your legacy will matter in a very different way than it does etched into the edifice of the federal courthouse on Pleasant Street," Broderick said he told Rudman.
Yes, there is a federal courthouse named after Rudman. The UNH Law center is more fitting. Naming a courthouse is easy, politically speaking. Continuing someone's work to better the republic is hard, and expensive. Broderick and many others took on that task because someone needed to, and they were not going to leave it undone. That in itself is a lesson worth imparting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 45
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you