Home » Opinion » Editorials
R.I.P., Margaret Thatcher: We all owe 'The Iron Lady'
Thatcher worked harder, planned better and argued more persuasively than anyone on either side. She was every bit "The Iron Lady," a nickname given her by the Soviet army newspaper "Red Star" in 1976. Thatcher led the party of Winston Churchill back to power by showing Britain a way out of the financial and cultural pit into which socialism had thrown it. She did not offer the British people socialism with a smiley face. She pledged to overthrow it entirely and give them something better in its place: freedom and prosperity.
That she did. Thatcher saw with uncommon clarity the threat collectivism posed to the West. She pointed out in the 1970s that the further Britain moved away from what she called a "free society," the weaker and less wealthy it became. By the late 1970s, a majority saw that she was right, and the freedoms she succeeded in restoring in the 1980s made Britain once again a strong and prosperous nation.
She fought collectivism bravely, both at home and abroad, and she wounded it gravely. Because of her, millions are freer and wealthier than they otherwise would be, and the apostles of forced collectivization have been on a three-decade retreat. We all owe her a tremendous debt. May she rest in peace.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 41
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
- The blues for candidates: The ones not named Brown, that is - 0
- Gas tax hike or else? Is this New Jersey, Sen. Rausch? - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate approves parental rights bill - 0
- Senate passes Medicaid expansion on bipartisan vote - 0
- Raymond police investigating thefts of cord wood - 0
- House kills suicide-related bills - 0
- Staples to shut 225 stores as online competition hurts sales - 0
- Pelham police arrest Mass. man near scene of thefts from cars - 0
- UPDATE: Boscawen police have two men in custody - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 0
- St. A Hawks grounded by the Chargers - 0
House votes for cellphone ban while driving
George Will: Misreading Putin, and history