Home » Opinion » Editorials
Leeland's run: A question of mental health treatment
We don't know whether Eisenberg is a threat. We do know that he considers himself at least a potential threat, which is why it is troubling that he was in a situation in which he could just walk away.
In a column submitted to this newspaper in February (but not published), Eisenberg wrote that he got excellent mental health care in prison and concluded that such treatment could prevent another Newtown.
"I'm Leeland Eisenberg, I know from where I speak," he wrote. "I am a state prisoner with mental illness and a receipient (cq) of this treatment, who's (cq) success will be measured by the harm I don't cause in the future."
The implication was clear: he would harm people if his treatment were unsuccessful. Is he a threat? Who knows? Unpredictable people act unpredictably. The more pressing question is: How effective is the mental health treatment for those who need it in prison and after release?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 1
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 51
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 2
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help