Home » Opinion » Editorials
Leeland's run: A question of mental health treatment
We don't know whether Eisenberg is a threat. We do know that he considers himself at least a potential threat, which is why it is troubling that he was in a situation in which he could just walk away.
In a column submitted to this newspaper in February (but not published), Eisenberg wrote that he got excellent mental health care in prison and concluded that such treatment could prevent another Newtown.
"I'm Leeland Eisenberg, I know from where I speak," he wrote. "I am a state prisoner with mental illness and a receipient (cq) of this treatment, who's (cq) success will be measured by the harm I don't cause in the future."
The implication was clear: he would harm people if his treatment were unsuccessful. Is he a threat? Who knows? Unpredictable people act unpredictably. The more pressing question is: How effective is the mental health treatment for those who need it in prison and after release?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return