Manchester suspect denies stalking ex, says meeting was by chance
MANCHESTER - Wayne Webber, 40, who said he's staying in the woods in Auburn, told Manchester District Court Judge William Lyons Tuesday that he wasn't stalking his ex-girlfriend March 25 at the Manchester City Library on Pine Street.
Webber said he was in the library to charge his cell phone when the woman walked in with her boyfriend and a third person.
"It was an accidental sighting," he said, adding that he left without contacting her and there was no intent to contact her.
He said she lives on Montgomery Street and there is a West Side library branch, so why would he expect her to come across the river to the main library.
The stalking charge alleges he approached her and spoke to her. The charge is a felony because of several previous stalking convictions, according to a police prosecutor.
Webber is currently out on bail from Hillsborough Superior Court on a felony second-degree assault charge that alleges he shoved the same woman, who was then seven months pregnant, so hard that she bounced off a truck and fell to the ground, injuring her back October 30, 2012. Webber was convicted in district court of stalking the woman in October 2012.
A police prosecutor sought bail of $10,000 cash/surety on the new stalking charge, but Lyons set bail at $5,000 cash/surety, with conditions barring contact with the alleged victim and barring Webber from her residence.
A probable cause hearing was set for April 25.
Second day in court
A Lyndeborough man who was arraigned Monday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a simple assault charge alleging he struck his girlfriend in the face with a closed fist and pushed her to the ground was back in Circuit Court Tuesday on a stalking charge that alleges he spoke with the woman while at court Monday.
Gregory Cormier, 21, of 47 Glass Factory Road, pleaded innocent to the stalking charge and trial was set for June 19, the same day as trial on the assault charge.
Because he allegedly violated bail conditions on the original charge by speaking to the victim, police prosecutors filed a motion to revoke his bail and a hearing was set for Wednesday morning.
Failed to appear in two cities
A city woman who failed to appear for arraignment Feb. 23 in Manchester District Court on a felony charge of receiving stolen property and misdemeanor theft by deception was arraigned Tuesday on those charges as well as a charge of driving without a license for which she failed to appear in a Nashua court.
Bail on the Manchester charges was set at $2,360 cash/surety for Cassandra Jean Gagnon, 23, of 480 Lake Ave., a detainee who fell asleep while waiting for arraignment. A probable cause hearing on the felony was set for May 1 and trial was set for June 25 on the Manchester charges.
Bail was set at $500 cash/surety on the Nashua warrant, with an April 25 court date there.
Domestic dispute draws attention
Officers who saw a vehicle pull into the parking lot of the 7-11 at 557 Maple St. at about 3 a.m. Tuesday and a woman abruptly exit the vehicle with some bags, appearing upset, alerted other officers and followed the vehicle as it left the lot. When it drifted into the parking lanes on Maple Street, they stopped it and identified the driver as Michael Bart, 45, of 15 Warren St., Concord.
Two other officers made contact with the woman standing in the parking lot at the 7-11 and determined the man and woman had been involved in a domestic dispute.
During the course of the investigation, police found a loaded .32 caliber revolver in Bart's trunk and he was charged with possession of a concealed weapon without a permit.
The woman, Stephanie Smith, 26, also of 15 Warren St., Concord, was found in possession of a syringe containing a small amount of heroin, and was charged with felony possession of a narcotic.
Both Bart and Smith were arraigned later Tuesday morning in Manchester District Court. Bail for Bart was set at $2,500 cash/surety, with a trial date of May 9.
Bail for Smith was set at $5,000 cash/surety. Smith was convicted of theft by unauthorized taking in November 2012 and received a suspended 12-month jail sentence on a prostitution conviction earlier this year.
A probable cause hearing on the felony was set for April 25.
Won't waive extradition
At his appearance Tuesday in Manchester District Court, Adeland Phaneuf, 45, of 248 E. High St., refused to waive extradition to Rhode Island, where he is accused of failing to appear in court for arraignment on a burglary charge.
Phaneuf was arrested Monday after police responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle on an off-road trail behind 672 Huse Road found three men trying to free a Jeep from the mud and identified one of the men as Phaneuf. Officers determined there was a Rhode Island warrant for burglary and arrested him.
Police prosecutor Capt. Robert Cunha said Phaneuf's Rhode Island record dates back to 1987 and includes breaking and entering, forgery and counterfeiting, larceny and receiving stolen property. Phaneuf said he hasn't been arrested since 2006. As for the burglary charge, he told Judge William Lyons: "I never had a court date." He said he'd called court twice asking if there was a warrant, but was told no.
Cunha requested $10,000 cash/surety bail, but Lyons set bail at $5,000 cash/surety, with conditions barring Phaneuf from leaving the state except to go to Rhode Island.
A hearing on the fugitive charge was set for April 24.