action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67

Home » News » Public Safety

April 10. 2013 4:42PM

Early-morning Keene fire put out quickly

KEENE - A two-alarm house fire on Old Walpole Road was quickly put out by firefighters early Wednesday morning after a passerby called 911.

The electrical fire started outside, said Keene Fire Chief Gary Lamoureux.

"A passerby spotted the (electrical) sparks coming off the wire," Lamoureux said. "He called 911, then notified the homeowner."

The husband and wife who were in the two-story home as well as their dog were uninjured.The fire started in the electrical wires between the house and the electrical meter on the outside of the house.

From the outside, the fire travelled up into the eaves. "Once it got up there, it traveled into the attic space," Lamoureux said. "Once it gets into the attic, it will travel quickly."

Firefighters cut a hole in the roof and pulled down the second-floor ceiling to get at the fire.There is about $30,000 to $40,000 worth of structural and cosmetic damage to the Gambrel-style home, Lamoureux said.

The fire was toned out at 1:18 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene at 1:25 a.m. The fire was declared under control at 1:58 a.m.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
Sorry, no question available

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events