All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Early-morning Keene fire put out quickly

KEENE - A two-alarm house fire on Old Walpole Road was quickly put out by firefighters early Wednesday morning after a passerby called 911.

The electrical fire started outside, said Keene Fire Chief Gary Lamoureux.
"A passerby spotted the (electrical) sparks coming off the wire," Lamoureux said. "He called 911, then notified the homeowner."
The husband and wife who were in the two-story home as well as their dog were uninjured.The fire started in the electrical wires between the house and the electrical meter on the outside of the house.
From the outside, the fire travelled up into the eaves. "Once it got up there, it traveled into the attic space," Lamoureux said. "Once it gets into the attic, it will travel quickly."
Firefighters cut a hole in the roof and pulled down the second-floor ceiling to get at the fire.There is about $30,000 to $40,000 worth of structural and cosmetic damage to the Gambrel-style home, Lamoureux said.
The fire was toned out at 1:18 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene at 1:25 a.m. The fire was declared under control at 1:58 a.m.

Post or View Comments 

NH Maple Weekend NH Maple Weekend
All Weekend

Sap Gathering Contest Sap Gathering Contest
Saturday, 10 a.m.

45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show 45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show
Friday, 1-8 p.m.,
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.,
Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ales for Tails Ales for Tails
Sunday, 1-5 p.m.

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle