Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots re-sign Edelman, make offer to Sanders
According to multiple reports, Sanders' offer is for one year but the value of the contract is unknown. If the Steelers don't match the offer, they will receive a third-round pick as compensation.
The Steelers have minimal salary cap space, and matching any contract offer could be prohibitive. Pittsburgh would be left with only Antonio Brown among its top three wide receivers from 2012 if Sanders departs. Mike Wallace signed a $60 million contract with the Miami Dolphins in March.
With tight end Heath Miller returning from a torn ACL and other roster needs - namely an aging defense - the Steelers would be forced to bolster their receiving corps through the draft. Veterans Plaxico Burress and Jerricho Cotchery are under contract for 2013, but are not likely to be cast in leading roles.
Restocking that position in the draft hasn't been a problem for GM Kevin Colbert in recent years. Wallace (third round), Sanders (third round) and Brown (sixth round) were all chosen on what is now the third day of the draft.
Sanders visited the Patriots on March 15.
The diminutive slot receiver and return specialist caught 44 receptions for 626 yards (14.2-yard average) and one touchdown in 2012.
According to a USA Today report, Edelman was to sign a one-year contract. He had visited the New York Giants to gauge their interest
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Since Day 1, a focus on excellence for Penmen - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list