Home » News » Public Safety
No charges yet in shooting at Danville police chief's home
County Attorney James Reams said he hopes to "finalize decisions" by Friday on whether to file charges.
State Police refused to provide a copy of their report after the New Hampshire Union Leader formally asked that the document be made public under the state's right-to-know law.
In a written response, attorney Marta Modigliani, representing the state Department of Safety, said the report was "compiled for law enforcement purposes."
Citing previous case law, Modigliani said the records were exempt from disclosure because the "production of such records or information could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings."
State Police began investigating after a 15-year-old boy died inside Parsons' Danville residence on March 11. Authorities responded to the home after a shooting was reported.
The teen is the son of Parsons' girlfriend.
According to State Police, the teen is believed to have been home alone at the time of the death.
Police described the case as an "untimely death" investigation, but have said the incident doesn't appear to have been accidental.
They have not commented on whether it was a suicide or whether any of the chief's firearms may have been involved.
The medical examiner's office has also refused to release the cause and manner of death, citing privacy concerns for the family.
Parsons took time off following the death, but has since returned to work.
Selectman Shawn O'Neil spoke with State Police after the death investigation began, but said based on what he was told, selectmen saw no reason to take any action against Parsons.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 6
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 1
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help