Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: Yale tips Mass Lowell, will play Conn. rival Quinnipiac for title
Senior captain Andrew Miller scored the game-winning goal when he beat Lowell goaltender Connor Hellebuyck 6:59 into overtime.
Yale will play Quinnipiac, a 4-1 winner over St. Cloud State in Thursday night's other semifinal, in Saturday's final.
Yale, located in New Haven, Conn., and Quinnipiac, in Hamden, Conn., are separated by 10.73 miles, according to Mapquest. Both are members of the ECAC.
The Bulldogs had a 47-18 advantage in shots on goal — including all seven in overtime – and improved their record to 21-12-3. Lowell, which won the Hockey East tournament and the NCAA Northeast Regional in Manchester, completed its season with a 28-11-2 record.
Yale led 2-0 after 20 minutes, but it was a 2-2 game entering the third period.
Mitch Witek and Antoine Laganiere also scored for Yale. Witek's goal came during a power play and was his first of the season.Lowell's Riley Wetmore and Joseph Pendenza scored 14 seconds apart in the second period.
Quinnipiac goalie Eric Hartzell made 33 saves to backstop his team's victory. Jordan Samuels-Thomas, Ben Arnt and Jeremy Langlois scored in the first period as the Bobcats built a 3-0 lead and cruised from there.
Quinnipiac, ranked No. 1 in the country, is 30-7-5.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 39
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false