Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Arrest warrant for Massachusetts man in brutal Bedford home invasion
Dr. Eduardo W. Quesada, 52, and his wife, Sonia, 29, returned to their luxury home at 7 Proclamation Court about 10 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 24, and found at least one intruder inside.
Authorities announced Friday they obtained an arrest warrant for Charles Normil, 32, who currently is under arrest in Massachusetts on an unrelated charge. A second suspect, whom authorities would not identify, is being detained on federal charges out of U.S. District Court in New Hampshire.
Normil is accused of breaking into the 7 Proclamation Court home of Dr. Eduardo Quesada and his wife, Sonia, and attacking the couple when they returned home about 10 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 24.
Normil allegedly stabbed Dr. Quesada, 52, multiple times in the head with a screwdriver, causing facial fractures, lacerations and bleeding in the brain.
He also allegedly sexually and physically assaulted Sonia Quesada multiple times, causing her to lose sight in one eye.
Authorities said motive for the burglary appeared to be financial gain. There is no indication the Quesadas had any connection to their attackers at this time, officials said. Hillsbrough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance would not discuss charges Normil faces in Massachusetts. She said her office will file a detainer to seek to have him returned to New Hampshire. Should he refuse to waive extradition, authorities will apply for a governor's warrant to have him brought back to New Hampshire to face charges. LaFrance gave no time line as to when these events would occur.
Normil is charged with two counts each of attempted murder and first-degree assault and one count each of aggravated felonious sexual assault, falsifying physical evidence and burglary.
Multiple state, federal and county law enforcement agencies assisted in the 4 1/2 month investigation that rattled Bedford residents.
Bedford Town Council Chairman Chris Bandazian said the arrest should bring relief to the community, which has been on edge since the attack.
"We are a very safe community, but we are not immune to this kind of random attack. It's horrible," he said.
"The citizens of Bedford can be very proud of their detectives...and the police officers and the coordinated efforts of multiple agencies," Bandazian added.
Chief John Bryfonski said the injuries the couple suffered were so severe that the two were unable to help detectives in the early stages of the investigation. Their 2-year-old daughter was unharmed and is living with a relative.
Earlier this week, divers conducted searches of Beaver Brook in Amherst and Railroad Pond in Milford in connection with the home invasion. Officials said they had to wait until weather conditions improved before they could do the searches.
Police revealed few details about the case at that time, other than to describe the attacker as a man at least 6 feet tall wearing a black ski mask and dark clothing. Authorities say that description remains valid as their investigation nears the nearly five-month mark.
LaFrance said authorities had to keep close guard on the facts of the investigation to not jeopardize the case.
The case took a strange turn Jan. 7 when police were called to the 49 Kensington Lane condominium owned by Dr. Quesada's mother. There they found Sonia Quesada dead, her husband unconscious, and a pile of prescription drugs nearby.
Police say the Jan. 7 incident is unrelated to the home invasion.
They said Sonia Quesada's death was not a homicide, but have yet to release the cause or manner of her death.
Dr. Quesada is an anesthesiologist at the Pain Management Center at Elliot Hospital and Amoskeag Anesthesia PLLC in Manchester. A colleague said Quesada has been on "indefinite medical leave" since the Nov. 24 attack.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bath man, 73, charged with sexual assault of child - 0
- Two Derry residents charged with burglarizing home - 0
- 4 charged with digging up corpse of NH businessman - 0
- Former Manchester restaurateur convicted of sexual assault - 0
- Check scheme leads to arrests in Nashua - 0
- Nashua police warn of phone scam involving IRS claims - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Three arrested on drug charges after police search apartment - 3
- Seabrook fires two officers for Bergeron brutality - 7
- Former Claremont PTO member arrested for theft - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Cheshire Historical Society receives nearly $1 million - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917