Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Parents of chief's accuser praise her
Through their lawyer, Attorney Richard Lehmann of Douglas, Leonard, and Garvey in Concord, Todd and Cynthia Westfall of Bridgewater issued a statement supporting their daughter, Janelle Westfall, a Colby-Sawyer College student.
"We are extremely proud of Janelle's courage in coming forward during such a frightening situation," they said in the statement. "Her concern from the beginning was to prevent this from happening to others."
Seastrand resigned on April 4 as part of a negotiated agreement with the Attorney General's Office after an investigation into his actions on March 6, the day that Janelle Westfall claims he asked her to pose nude for photos in exchange for having her charges dropped.
Westfall was arrested for underage alcohol possession and giving a false name to police, according to her lawyer, who said he will be filing a civil suit on her behalf against the chief in the days ahead.
Seastrand, 50, who had announced his retirement to the town on April 1 without giving a reason, has not spoken publicly since his departure from town, where he served as chief since 1995 and was a police officer since 1986.
His attorney, Nicholas Brodich of Tarbell and Brodich in Concord, has said his client does not want to "try" the case alleged by Westfall in the news media, and said Seastrand would not speak on the matter at present.
The Attorney General's Office said at least four women have come forward since Seastrand's resignation with complaints about his conduct, and authorities are now investigating those claims.
On April 5, with full knowledge of news accounts of the attorney general's investigation and Seastrand's resignation, the town's selectmen issued a public statement of support for Seastrand.
"Chief Seastrand has indicated that due to an investigation undertaken by the state Attorney General's Office, he is unable to give his full focus to his duties as chief . The selectmen reiterate their strong support for Chief Seastrand and appreciation for his service to the town of New London for the past 27 years," the statement said.
In their statement Thursday, Westfall's parents were thankful for support their daughter has received.
"We are thankful for the support she is receiving from the great number of those that know, love and respect her as well as from a great number of strangers from across the country.
They said their daughter was home-schooled for five years through the accredited Central Christian Academy where she graduated with a 4.0 grade point average. "Over the years she had the opportunity to volunteer many times in her community working with young children," they said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- Suspected Pa. cop-killer Eric Frein taken into custody - 0
- Anonymous tip leads to arrest of moose poacher - 0
- Victim in Hampton pedestrian crash files lawsuit against driver, town and state - 0
- Dover police say man broke into same business three times - 0
- Two more Keene State College students charged in riots - 1
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483