All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Teens escape unharmed from gasoline-aided Tamworth garage fire

Union Leader Correspondent

April 15. 2013 10:53PM

TAMWORTH - No one was injured in an early morning fire at 725 Turkey Street in Tamworth Monday morning.

The fire was started when a group of teens used gasoline to get a woodstove fire going.

Chief Rich Colcord of the Tamworth Fire Department said five teens, who were having a sleepover in a 30-foot by 40-foot garage, managed to escape without injury from a blaze that was reported at 5:55 a.m.

Colcord said the teens woke up cold, and tried to get a fire going in the woodstove. When that was unsuccessful, one teen used gasoline.

The resulting blowback caused the teen to retreat, during which more gas was spilled.

Colcord said the resident of the house was informed, and was able to get his vehicle out of the garage, but in doing so ran over the gas can.

The vehicle caught fire and is a total loss.

Fires Tamworth

More Headlines