Home » NewHampshire.com » A&E
Ice may be out on lake, but it left damage in Meredith
Public Works Director Michael Faller said the last two posts on two of the docks were damaged by ice last Wednesday night and into Thursday.
It's happened before, Faller said, recalling similar damage in 2007.
The problem occurs when the wind blows the ice remaining on the lake up against the docks. "The wind has to be blowing in a certain direction, and the ice conditions have to be just right, and then it rolls in on the docks," he said. "It's a luck-of-the-draw kind of thing."
Faller said it will take a few weeks to repair the damage, but he hopes to have the docks ready for summer boat traffic.
The town will file a request for a permit with the Department of Environmental Services for the repair, and then will put the project out for bids to local marine construction contractors.
The project will likely cost several thousand dollars, he said. It will involve removing the pilings at the end of the docks and sinking new ones into the lake bottom.
The town has taped off the end of the affected docks to prevent people from using them. At this time of year, the docks are sometimes used by anglers.
"It's unsafe there right now. It'll be a few weeks before it's safe again," Faller said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone - 0
- Former mini-golf course to transform into botanical gardens - 0
- Flash mob stands as one in Manchester for campaign to end childhood homelessness - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Danbury Grange plans fair, 'Living Sustainably' session - 0
- Gov. Hassan signs ATV bills, opens new North Country connector trail - 0
- The band Live return this October with new album, 'The Turn' - 0
- 2014 marks the 20th year of AmeriCorps programs - 0
- Billy Idol will release 'Kings & Queens of the Underground' on October 21 - 0
- Exhibit serves as 'Witness' to Civil Rights Movement - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return