Ice may be out on lake, but it left damage in Meredith
Public Works Director Michael Faller said the last two posts on two of the docks were damaged by ice last Wednesday night and into Thursday.
It's happened before, Faller said, recalling similar damage in 2007.
The problem occurs when the wind blows the ice remaining on the lake up against the docks. "The wind has to be blowing in a certain direction, and the ice conditions have to be just right, and then it rolls in on the docks," he said. "It's a luck-of-the-draw kind of thing."
Faller said it will take a few weeks to repair the damage, but he hopes to have the docks ready for summer boat traffic.
The town will file a request for a permit with the Department of Environmental Services for the repair, and then will put the project out for bids to local marine construction contractors.
The project will likely cost several thousand dollars, he said. It will involve removing the pilings at the end of the docks and sinking new ones into the lake bottom.
The town has taped off the end of the affected docks to prevent people from using them. At this time of year, the docks are sometimes used by anglers.
"It's unsafe there right now. It'll be a few weeks before it's safe again," Faller said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Peterborough seniors know they have friends - 0
- Enter to win a pair of tickets to see Zappa Plays Zappa - 0
- Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow - 0
- Feeling Scrooge-ish? Just visit the Festival of Trees - 0
- Monadnock Conservancy gets towns' financial help - 0
- Wreaths Around Wadleigh auction raises about $1,000 for library programs - 0
- Wreaths Across America get big send-off - 0
- Bedford council to unveil 'conservative' $26.6M plan - 0
- Website: Durham best in NH for young families, Hooksett, Littleton also rank high - 0
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Peterborough seniors know they have friends
2013 Holiday Happenings
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice