Ice may be out on lake, but it left damage in Meredith
Public Works Director Michael Faller said the last two posts on two of the docks were damaged by ice last Wednesday night and into Thursday.
It's happened before, Faller said, recalling similar damage in 2007.
The problem occurs when the wind blows the ice remaining on the lake up against the docks. "The wind has to be blowing in a certain direction, and the ice conditions have to be just right, and then it rolls in on the docks," he said. "It's a luck-of-the-draw kind of thing."
Faller said it will take a few weeks to repair the damage, but he hopes to have the docks ready for summer boat traffic.
The town will file a request for a permit with the Department of Environmental Services for the repair, and then will put the project out for bids to local marine construction contractors.
The project will likely cost several thousand dollars, he said. It will involve removing the pilings at the end of the docks and sinking new ones into the lake bottom.
The town has taped off the end of the affected docks to prevent people from using them. At this time of year, the docks are sometimes used by anglers.
"It's unsafe there right now. It'll be a few weeks before it's safe again," Faller said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vendors ready to serve NASCAR fans this weekend - 0
- Bedford's South River Road plan laid out - 0
- Conceptual plan for Bedford complex presented Monday - 0
- Bedford to decide on sewer/water line extension - 0
- Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales - 0
- Windham board says high school access station needs updating - 0
- Nashua organizers looking to fall for celebration - 0
- Former Claremont Moose Lodge seeking to reopen as Eagles aerie - 0
- Windham considering policy on graduation attire after student's request to wear military sash - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Something for everyone at the Speedway
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax