Home » News » Public Safety
AG says Alstead officer justified in deadly shooting of armed robbery suspect
Larry A. Bohannon, 51, refused to comply with Officer Cameron Prior's commands to "Drop the gun!" and continued to handle what appeared to be a pistol in the cab of his pickup truck when police shot him, Delaney wrote in his nine-page report.
Bohannon was hit with five shots. Two hit him in the chest. The rest hit him in the abdomen, rib cage, groin and head.
Bohannon slumped face down in the cab after being hit in the head.
Alstead police were alerted to Bohannon by a Cheshire County dispatch about 4:15 p.m. describing Bohannon's pickup truck and warning the driver was wanted for an armed robbery involving a firearm in Bellows Falls, Vt., about 15 minutes earlier.
Bohannon fled across the New Hampshire state line, traveling at speeds of up to 80 mph and illegally passing vehicles, the report said. With police in pursuit, Bohannon drove his truck onto a lawn in a residential area of Upper Walpole Road when police rammed his truck, forcing it to flip.
Police officers said they saw Bohannon fumbling with something with his hands while in the cab of his truck.
Bohannon's last-known residence was in Grafton.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem