Home » News » Public Safety
AG says Alstead officer justified in deadly shooting of armed robbery suspect
Larry A. Bohannon, 51, refused to comply with Officer Cameron Prior's commands to "Drop the gun!" and continued to handle what appeared to be a pistol in the cab of his pickup truck when police shot him, Delaney wrote in his nine-page report.
Bohannon was hit with five shots. Two hit him in the chest. The rest hit him in the abdomen, rib cage, groin and head.
Bohannon slumped face down in the cab after being hit in the head.
Alstead police were alerted to Bohannon by a Cheshire County dispatch about 4:15 p.m. describing Bohannon's pickup truck and warning the driver was wanted for an armed robbery involving a firearm in Bellows Falls, Vt., about 15 minutes earlier.
Bohannon fled across the New Hampshire state line, traveling at speeds of up to 80 mph and illegally passing vehicles, the report said. With police in pursuit, Bohannon drove his truck onto a lawn in a residential area of Upper Walpole Road when police rammed his truck, forcing it to flip.
Police officers said they saw Bohannon fumbling with something with his hands while in the cab of his truck.
Bohannon's last-known residence was in Grafton.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Owner sought after fatal pitbull attack near Tuckerman Ravine - 0
- Big smiles as Market Basket customers and workers return - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Patnode poised to win NH Weekly Series crown - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 8
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate