Home » Opinion » Editorials
Boston: The face of American resolve
History's pages are scattered here and there with fools who believed they could rattle sabers or unleash brutal men or kill random innocents and thus strike terror into the stout heart of New England's greatest city.
Some of their memories are tough to recall. Gov. Thomas Hutchinson, Gen. Thomas Gage, King George III and a host of British petty tyrants, a serial killer, gangsters and mafiosi, and now a pathetic, passive murderer of children and women. The city outlived and outgrew them all before, as it always will.
Boston bow to the threats and blows of little men who harbor little boys' delusions of power and dominance? Boston? Never.
On Tuesday, President Obama said of this great nation, "the American people refuse to be terrorized." And the defiant face that expresses this refusal is the face of Boston.
Boston will never be terrorized. Its spirit disallows the possibility. Whether the world eventually comes to understand this truth, it is truth nonetheless. The people of Boston have proven it for almost four centuries. They will prove it for centuries more.
READER COMMENTS: 23
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 46
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 7
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 17
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Slandering police: Racism in reverse