Home » Opinion » Editorials
Boston: The face of American resolve
History's pages are scattered here and there with fools who believed they could rattle sabers or unleash brutal men or kill random innocents and thus strike terror into the stout heart of New England's greatest city.
Some of their memories are tough to recall. Gov. Thomas Hutchinson, Gen. Thomas Gage, King George III and a host of British petty tyrants, a serial killer, gangsters and mafiosi, and now a pathetic, passive murderer of children and women. The city outlived and outgrew them all before, as it always will.
Boston bow to the threats and blows of little men who harbor little boys' delusions of power and dominance? Boston? Never.
On Tuesday, President Obama said of this great nation, "the American people refuse to be terrorized." And the defiant face that expresses this refusal is the face of Boston.
Boston will never be terrorized. Its spirit disallows the possibility. Whether the world eventually comes to understand this truth, it is truth nonetheless. The people of Boston have proven it for almost four centuries. They will prove it for centuries more.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 41
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 72
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Owner sought after fatal pitbull attack near Tuckerman Ravine - 1
- Big smiles as Market Basket customers and workers return - 6
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Patnode poised to win NH Weekly Series crown - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 14
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name