Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox top Tribe for fifth straight win
Jacoby Ellsbury, Shane Victorino and Mike Carp each collected three hits for the Red Sox, who scored three times in the top of the first in support of Alfredo Aceves (1-0). Aceves cruised through five innings before allowing three runs in the sixth.
Napoli singled home two runs in the first off Cleveland starter Justin Masterson (3-1), and Nava drove home Dustin Pedroia with the inning's third run. Carp tripled home a run in the fifth and Nava's sixth-inning single scored Victorino to make it 5-0.
Cleveland sliced into the lead in the sixth on back-to-back homers by Nick Swisher (a two-run blast) and Jason Giambi, cutting the deficit to 5-3.
Aceves allowed seven hits and three runs in five-plus innings. Andrew Bailey pitched the ninth in place of injured closer Joel Hanrahan, earning his first save.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox wrap up the three-game series today before returning to Fenway Park to face Kansas City, in Boston's first home game since Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon. ... Masterson gave up four runs on 11 hits in five rocky innings. ... Boston's Junichi Tazawa struck out four in two perfect innings of relief, and Koji Uehara fanned two in a scoreless eighth inning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pearl Harbor survivors remember attack - 0
- NH veterans remember attack on Pearl Harbor - 0
- Family wants remains of Swanzey sailor killed at Pearl Harbor returned for NH burial - 1
- Study of New Hampshire veterans spurs drive to help them - 0
- Wreath laid on Pierce grave in Concord - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
- Meredith man gets McQuillen Award for service to vets - 0
- Wright Museum in Wolfeboro to preserve Walter Healy's story - 0
- Auburn students get special visitor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings