CROYDON - It was a long night for firefighters who battled a two-alarm fire at 9 Sawyer Meadow Road Wednesday night that heavily damaged a home and kept firefighters busy well into the following morning.
Firefighters responded to the home at 11:29 p.m. for a report of a structure fire with explosions, Croydon Fire Chief Steve Rizza said.
The explosions turned out to be 20-pound propane tanks just outside the home, as well as ammunition stored inside the home, Rizza said.
The fire wasn't under control until 3 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene putting out hot spots until 6 a.m.
"The reason is the metal roof," Rizza said. "It really acts like an oven."
After investigating the scene with a state fire marshal, Rizza said late Thursday morning that the fire appears to have been an accidental woodstove fire.
The home had structural, fire and water damage.
The homeowners were out when the fire occurred, and no firefighters were injured fighting the blaze, Rizza said.