Home » Opinion » Editorials
Really, America? Must everything always be political?
Picking a side and sticking to it is not a flaw in politics or sports or much else. Being guided in politics by a core philosophy is not just OK, it's the way politics should be done. But so many Americans are now driven almost entirely by ideology or partisanship (there is a difference) that historic moments that should unite us all become opportunities to divide us further.
The injured were still being removed from Boylston Street on Monday when partisans on the left and the right speculated that surely this must be the work of the other side. If they were not blaming the other side directly, they stated with no evidence whatsoever that the blasts confirmed their own political views.
Former U.S. Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., used the moment not to call for unity, but to take pot shots against people who advocate for lower taxes and smaller government. Conservative activists used the moment to bash the media, ironically getting facts wrong while complaining about news reports that, in the chaotic aftermath of a terrorist attack, were sometimes off base.
Have we really reached the point at which not even the bombing of a major American city can cause people to put down their partisan swords for a day?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax