Policy on Nashua kindergarten early enrollment pondered
The absence of a policy became an issue when Myra and Elias Nikitas approached the district about allowing their son Andreas to enter kindergarten early. School policy requires that a child must be 5 years old as of Sept. 30 to enter kindergarten, but Andreas doesn't turn 5 until October.
"The (Nikitas) approached me and asked for early admission based upon their belief that their son is ready. Since we don't have a policy regarding early enrollment, I didn't think I have the authority to enroll students early," Conrad said.
Conrad said he asked the Nikitas to address the board's policy committee meeting and state their case. After the Nikitas met with the policy committee earlier this week, the board instructed Conrad to examine the possibility of creating an early enrollment policy.
Thomas Vaughan, chairman of the policy committee, said during Wednesday's meeting that the district should look into creating a policy so the district has the ability to address parents' concerns in a more thoughtful way.
Conrad said he wasn't necessarily asked to create a policy, just to examine whether it would make sense to create one and, if it does, to create an outline as to what that policy would look like.
The district does have a policy that allows parents to apply for early enrollment for their children to go into first grade. Conrad said that it involves an employee evaluating the prospective student to see whether they are prepared.
While saying a potential kindergarten policy wouldn't necessarily mirror the first-grade policy, Conrad said any early enrollment process for kindergarten would have to ensure that a child is socially, emotionally and academically prepared for the classroom.
"It is tougher to evaluate younger children because of their age, but I will talk to members of elementary school and pre-school to see if we can't come up with something," Conrad said.
Conrad added that if the district creates an early enrollment plan, it won't have a large impact on the district.
"That was the concern when we came up with a plan for first grade, and it hasn't impacted the district very much," Conrad said.
After the district devises a plan, which there is no timeline for, Conrad said it would be presented to the board.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride