Home » News » Public Safety
Laconia auto accident claims life of 14-year-old girl
Lilyanna Johnson of Laconia, died of her injuries after being flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon, police said late Friday. The other girl, Alyssa Miner, also 14, of Laconia, was in serious condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Friday night, police said.
Canfield said a car had stopped at a crosswalk to allow the girls to cross the street as they were walking home from school about 2:30 p.m. Friday.
He said another car, driven by Amy Lafond, 57, of 10 River St., "suddenly veered" from behind the stopped car and hit one of the girls, then hit a guardrail, ricocheted and hit the second girl. The second girl -- police did not specify in releases which girl was hit first -- was flung into the air, landed on the car's hood and windshield and was thrown to the pavement. The car hit the guardrail on the other side of the street before coming to a rest, Canfield said.
The girls were flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon. Johnson died from her injuries about 8:30 p.m. Friday, while Miner was in serious condition Friday night, Canfield said. Lafond was taken to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment.
A police press release said grief counselors would be at Laconia Middle School from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today "for all of those affected by this tragedy." Lafond hasn't yet been charged in connection to the incident, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 32
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 14
- Despite contract provisions, most Manchester police officers live outside city - 25
- Londonderry response team celebrates 10th anniversary - 0
- Police say to expect more arrests in wake of Keene chaos - 6
- Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation - 8
- Bedford woman injured when tree falls on her - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested as Manchester West High School intruder indicted on felony charge - 0
- Keene police say one charged with riot on Saturday, another arrested could face riot charge - 0
- Manchester man indicted on charge he ordered murder of city man - 0
- Husband found guilty, wife awaiting trial in murder of St. Johnsbury, Vt. teacher - 0
- No murder charge in stabbing of Manchester man in 'Black Acres;' self-defense claimed - 0
- Ottawa police say male suspect in attack and soldier are dead - 1
- Keene police release riot images, seek help with identification - 0
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon to care for any potential NH Ebola patients, state announces - 0
- Salem mall renovations on target - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Health costs up for Manchester
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?