Home » News » Public Safety
Laconia auto accident claims life of 14-year-old girl
Lilyanna Johnson of Laconia, died of her injuries after being flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon, police said late Friday. The other girl, Alyssa Miner, also 14, of Laconia, was in serious condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Friday night, police said.
Canfield said a car had stopped at a crosswalk to allow the girls to cross the street as they were walking home from school about 2:30 p.m. Friday.
He said another car, driven by Amy Lafond, 57, of 10 River St., "suddenly veered" from behind the stopped car and hit one of the girls, then hit a guardrail, ricocheted and hit the second girl. The second girl -- police did not specify in releases which girl was hit first -- was flung into the air, landed on the car's hood and windshield and was thrown to the pavement. The car hit the guardrail on the other side of the street before coming to a rest, Canfield said.
The girls were flown to Dartmouth-Hitchock Medical Center in Lebanon. Johnson died from her injuries about 8:30 p.m. Friday, while Miner was in serious condition Friday night, Canfield said. Lafond was taken to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment.
A police press release said grief counselors would be at Laconia Middle School from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today "for all of those affected by this tragedy." Lafond hasn't yet been charged in connection to the incident, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help