Home » News » Public Safety
Belmont apartment fire ruled accidental by officials
Fire Department Lt. Greg Bavis said Ryan LeMay, 38, was the lone person in the three-story apartment building at 149 Young Road when the fire broke out at 6:30 p.m.
LeMay, who could not be reached for comment, jumped from a second-story rear deck of the building as the fire spread, having been reportedly trapped in a room. He fell 24 feet and landed in a dump truck, Bavis said.
The cause of the fire has been determined as careless disposal of smoking materials, but LeMay is not suspected of having any connection to the smoldering materials, he said.
"The fire was accidental in nature," Bavis said.
The fire started in a second-floor egress in the wall of the building, he said.
When firefighters arrived, a first alarm was called for as fire was showing from the roof, the right side and rear of the large, four-unit apartment building with garages underneath.
A second alarm was requested and then a third alarm was called at 7:08 p.m. for additional manpower and water supply help.
Firefighters knocked down the fire on the exterior of the building and in the attic and roof areas with outside streams, and then advanced hand lines into the second and third floors to extinguish the remaining fire in the walls, floors, and attic.
The house was badly damaged, but firefighters managed to save much of it, Gilford Police Chief Stephen Carrier said.
The fire was originally reported to be in the town of Gilford.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
- State: Range of staffing issues led to 'bad outcomes' at Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation - 0
- Driver loses control, crashes into four vehicles at Hudson auto body shop - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alleged kidnap-and sexual assault victim has good chance for emotional recovery, says mental-healthcare provider - 0
- Police arrest pair after bullets fly - 1
- Months of abuse, torture detailed - 0
- Man pleads guilty to sex assault, exposure to two girls in Nottingham - 0
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Kibby indictments detail months of depraved sexual violence and torture - 4
- Medical compounding officials charged with murder in meningitis outbreak - 0
- Official House GOP caucus begins setting goals - 0
- U.S. charges two Mass. pharmacists with 25 murders in meningitis outbreak - 0
Good news, of sorts, for jobs in NH
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly