Monarchs vault into playoff position
Manchester (36-31-3-4) is in third place in the Atlantic Division with 79 points. That puts the Monarchs in a four-way tie with Hershey, Norfolk and Connecticut for the final two Eastern Conference playoff spots.
Also Friday, Albany defeated Connecticut, 3-2, Hershey beat Adirondack, 2-1, and Norfolk was hammered, 6-1, by Syracuse.
The Monarchs have two games left: tonight at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Sunday at Hershey. Hershey is at Binghamton tonight. Connecticut wraps up its regular season tonight at Portland, and Norfolk finishes its regular season with a game at Albany tonight and at Providence on Sunday.
"We kept plugging away and withstood big pressure from a real solid team, " said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. "Martin Jones (37 saves) came up big when we needed him. The penalty kill was very good and the (Tanner) Pearson, (Linden) Vey and (Tyler) Toffoli line provided the scoring."
Monarchs center Linden Vey scored the game-winner just 26 seconds into the third period. Vey intercepted a pass near the left wing half wall, circled around the top of the zone before fired a shot from the right-wing face-off circle that beat Senators netminder Marc Cheverie for his 22nd goal of the season.
Binghamton opened the scoring at 4:06 of the first period with a goal by center Pat Cannone. Tanner Pearson tied the game at 1-1 for the Monarchs at 7:44 of the first period.
Jones (26-25-4) earned his 26th victory of the season, making 37 saves on 38 shots.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 18
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 8
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 2
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 1
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize